'Cracks' in Dewani caseFri, 19 Nov 2010 6:50
A second man has been arrested in connection with the weekend murder of a honeymooning tourist, National Police Commissioner Bheki Cele said on Thursday
And police might arrest "one or two more" as investigations continued, he told reporters in Cape Town.
"There has been a crack already. That crack will take us somewhere," he said.
Shrien returned to UK
Cele was speaking shortly after 26-year-old Xolile Mngeni of Khayelitsha appeared in the Wynberg Regional Court on charges of murder and robbery with aggravating circumstances.
Cele said the second suspect was also a 26-year-old male from Khayelitsha.
Tourist Anni Dewani, a Swedish national living in England, was shot dead after an apparent hijacking in Gugulethu on Saturday night.
Cele said Shrien had gone home to the United Kingdom "with the full understanding that everyone will be available for further investigations and everyone will co-operate".
Asked why Shrien, as a key witness, had been allowed to leave South Africa so soon after the killing, Cele said : "He's not a suspect so we can't hold him against his will if he wants to go."
UK, SAPS working together
However the South African and United Kingdom police worked very closely, he added.
"It would not be a problem whatsoever, whatsoever, working with them if we need to pursue [sic]).
"But as we have said, allow the investigation to lead us wherever it wants to take us so long as it doesn't lead us into temptation.
"Again, allow us not to throw people in the dish of suspects when they are not suspects."
Cellphones linked to two suspects
Cele said police had recovered two cellphones, a bangle and watch that linked the hijacking to the two men already arrested.
He said the post mortem had not indicated sexual assault.
"Up to this point the post mortem has not indicated that there was a sexual assault. It doesn't look so," he said.
"The motives will be only found when we are done with the investigations."
He said this sounded dismissive, but it was not meant to be.
"The motives will come when we have knitted the case together of everybody that has been found to be involved in it," he said.
"So you'll pardon me, rather than coming and jumping the gun about the motive when you are in the middle of the investigation."
Cause of death confirmed
Cele said the post-mortem had confirmed the cause of death was a bullet wound to Mrs Dewani's neck.
"It's a pity we have lost life, but the way the police have responded has again shown the capacity again of the South African police on responding on such matters," he said.
Earlier on Thursday, when Mngeni appeared in the regional court, it emerged that he did not have a lawyer, and the case was postponed to November 25 to allow him to seek free legal aid.
Magistrate Jackie Redelinghuys told Mngeni that a first appearance on a criminal charge would normally be in a magistrate's court, which was better geared to deal with bail applications and postponements for further investigation.
Murder and robbery charges
He said Mngeni was appearing in the regional court following a decision by the regional director of public prosecutions.
The director was entitled to move a first appearance to the higher court if he thought it "proper in a particular matter".
"The State alleges in your case that you committed murder, and that the death of the victim was caused during the commission of a robbery with aggravating circumstances, or committed by a group of people acting in common purpose," the magistrate said.
Mngeni was also being charged with robbery with aggravating circumstances, he said.
Photos of Mngeni prohibited
The slightly-built Mngeni, wearing a blue and grey top, nodded when Redelinghuys asked him if he understood what he had just said.
Speaking through a Xhosa interpreter, he indicated he did not want to say anything at this stage, and desired access to a legal aid lawyer.
Redelinghuys postponed the case to November 25, and ordered that Mngeni be held in the Bellville police cells.
He also ordered that no photographs of Mngeni be published until further notice, saying police wanted to hold identity parades.
Though he respected the right of a free press, it was obvious that any publication at this stage might prejudice the investigation and the State's case.
A video of the press conference